Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Big Day

Yesterday was a big day in our house. We FINALLY began potty training Oliver. I've been trying to get that started for close to a year now without success. He just wasn't ready and would fight the idea of even trying to sit on the pot. In the last few weeks he's been asking to read the Pirate Potty book we got from Jen and showing other signs so we jumped in with both feet.

Tools of the trade. The book comes with the cardboard pirate hat and stickers.

We're using the Bare Bum technique for now hoping that if he didn't have anything on, he'd be more likely to tell me rather than just pee in his pants. I'm filling him full of liquids so that he'll have to go more often and then I ask him every 10 minutes if he has to go. As for rewards, he gets to put a pirate sticker or two on his pirate hat (just like the pirate in the book) and he gets an m&m.

Day one was a huge success with 4 pees in the potty and only one accident. I did put a diaper on him for his nap but otherwise, he was bottom free all day. Day two has been going ok so far and he even did a poo! He got 5 m&m's for that one.

Unfortunately, I think the novelty and excitement is wearing off already. He's getting annoyed with me asking and doesn't want to sit but rather just play around in the bathroom. I'm humouring him as much as I can because I don't want to discourage him so early on in the process. And I guess it's just that. A process. Since we're talking about a kid that would sit in a poopy diaper all day if you let him, I know this isn't going to be easy.

Crown of success.

No comments: