Sunday, June 20, 2010

To My Dad





Happy 100th Anniversary Father's Day!

I learned yesterday that Father's Day originated 100 years ago and was started in Spokane Washington by a woman named Sonora Smart Dodd. Having been raised by her father after her mother died, she wanted him to know how special he was to her for having made all the parental sacrifices. To her, he was a courageous, selfless and loving man. 
I'm sure most of us feel the same way about our fathers. At least I hope so. (Historical information is from this site if you want to read more)

This week the television was bombarded with stories about fathers. For some reason, I was brought to tears every single time. There is just something touching about hearing a story about a great father. It's the way it should be, true, but it's not always the case. The one newscast that really caught me was one where they where doing 'man on the street' interviews asking the question, "What is the best thing your father has ever done for you?"  That really got me thinking. How would I answer that question? There is a huge list of things that my father has done for me over the years but there is really only one answer... he chose me.



The man who raised me is not the man with whom I share genetics. William Kelly came into my life when I was just a baby when he met my mom at their mutual place of employment. They married when I was 3, he legally adopted me and is the only father I've ever known. I have never once felt that I wasn't as important to him as my brother and sister who are biologically his. He's tried to teach me the rights and the wrongs of life, he's loved me anyway when I didn't take his advice and had to learn the hard way on my own. He taught me to ride a bike and was there to chase away 'the eyes' from my bedroom. He bailed me out financially when I needed it, said no when he had to, stayed up late with me discussing all the worlds problems and has walked me down the aisle on my wedding day. He has been everything a father should be and more and I feel so lucky to have him. He is more than just my father, he's my Dad and not everyone earns the right to that title.

So today I dedicate this post to all the men out there who have chosen to be amazing fathers to children who couldn't be more 'theirs' if they had created them. And to all the men who deserve to be called Daddy, this day is for you.




7 comments:

jen said...

That was beautiful Morena, you have a wonderful father!

Anonymous said...

Brings a tear to my eye!

Anonymous said...

Brings a tear to my eye!

Ryan

Clare said...

Very nice.

Congratulations on a job well done Morena's dad.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

That was a really beautiful post Morena!

Jody said...

We have practically the same story! When my dad expressed dismay that I wouldn't be taking my husband's name a few months prior to my wedding, I informed Dad that he loved me enough to give me his surname when he 'chose me and I was keeping that name. He cried.

What a beautiful tribute you gave your dad - you are lucky to have each other x

Fawn said...

Congratulations on your Best Post Nunie! I just clicked through from The House to read it and totally echo Ryan's comment. Beautiful.