Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Let there be light!






Sunrise- 10:02


Sunset- 12:40


This photo was taken at about 1:10 instead of 12:40.
The one at actual sunset looked pretty much like the one at sunrise.

 Today is the Winter Solstice. The first day of winter. The shortest day of the year. The day we northerners look forward to because today the light begins to return.

This year I seem to be more affected by the very short days. While I don't get depressed or anything, I do feel very lazy and unproductive. It could be that here in Pang we are just that much closer to the arctic circle than we were in Cape Dorset. However, that really only equates to a few extra minutes a day. It could also be that up until the last few days it had been overcast for weeks so it was doubly dreary. More than likely its just that I'm practically house bound with a new baby and a toddler to deal with. And that I rarely get a full nights sleep. Whatever the reason, I'm really looking forward to the long days again.

We gain about 7-8 minutes of light every day at this latitude so it should be mid May or so before the dark is gone completely. I can't wait.

No comments: