Friday, July 9, 2010

Happy Birthday Nunavut!!





Today Nunavut turns 11 years old. To celebrate the RCMP and the Hamlet put on a joint celebration in our neighborhood and we had a great turnout.


Nick and the guys barbecued hamburgers and hot dogs which went over big. Myself and Karine did face painting for the kids, and not a few people who used to be kids. Truth be told, being no artist I actually did crowd control while Karine painted along with the help of a few University of Manitoba students who are in town at the moment.


In addition to the BBQ the hamlet provided the beverages, and sweets and the Hunters and Trappers Association provided a few beluga. We had heard that they would come and butcher it right in front of my house which I was pretty excited about having never seen it done. Unfortunately for me, the rumors where wrong and it was already in pieces when it arrived.


One of the cutest things I saw all day was this little boy who was waiting in line to get his face painted with this baby duck. Apparently they are all over town. Oliver loved the duck but the picture didn't turn out as well of him with it so I'm sharing this one instead.



It was a wonderful day, probably by favorite since I got here to Pang. I met some really nice people and it was a beautiful day. Oliver had a wonderful time too wandering around (within my eye sight of course), meeting people and climbing stairs... his newest obsession. I love that I live in a place that I can safely just let him roam. I could never do that down south, and if I did I'm sure child services would have something to say about it. Just another of the many perks of northern living.


I hope everyone had a great Nunavut Day.



No comments: