Sunday, January 31, 2010

12 days till the big O




Get your mind out of the gutter... I mean the Olympics! I'm on the count down along with many others for something I've been looking forward to for so long. I remember the day that they made the big announcement that Vancouver was getting the games. I was living in Edmonton at the time, I lived alone and I sat on my bed bed watching and I cried in happiness.

You may remember the post telling you how I got to see the torch go through my home town in November. That was a dream come true and I thought it was so exciting to be part of the Olympics even in that tiny way. And yup, I cried just a little. Yesterday, they announced that Clara Hughes would carry our flag for the opening ceremonies. I watched the press conference and again, tears.

I don't know what it is. I've always been a big Olympic fan. It's something I've learned from my mom who will also be sitting there for those 2 weeks, watching every moment she can. I think I may have got the tears from her too. I think more so I'm extremely proud and excited that Canada is getting to host such a great event. I can't explain the pride I feel when I see the maple leaf coming out of the tunnel as the Canadians enter the stadium at the opening ceremony. And to think this time our flag will have the honor of entering last. And when I hear the anthem played at a medal ceremony, well, I think you got it by now.

I know not everyone feels the same and probably think I'm crazy. My husband would fall under that category. Then there are the people who are hugely anti-Olympics. I understand much of their protests and feel they may have some good points but I choose to think about the positives that the games bring. Among those positives are my tears.



No comments: