Monday, November 23, 2009

Does Sally really need their help?




I logged into Facebook a few minutes ago and was reading through my home page. Something down the right hand side of the page caught my eye.... under the 'suggestions' tab. It says,"Sally Smith. She has only 18 friends on Facebook. Suggest friends for her."

Am I the only one that finds that incredibly wrong? Sally (not the real name of course) is some one who uses Facebook for one reason, to see pictures of her Granddaughter. She has a few (17 apparently) other friends that she's picked up here and there but she's obviously not the usual obsessed patron. Does it seem right that Facebook is recruiting friends for her? Why does the suggestion feel like it's saying Facebook feels sorry for her? It makes me feel strange.

Maybe it's just me.



6 comments:

Tara Muise said...

i know what you mean...it just seems so wrong. 'haha, you're a geek. lets recruit others to fill in your address book'. i always feel weird reading that as well.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Here's one for you. It keeps suggesting I become friends with my first cousin who was actually murdered in Vancouver two years ago! I find it really creepy every time his names pops up over there.

Morena said...

Kara, that is creepy!

Sarah said...

I keep getting the facebook reminder "help make facebook better for JOHN write on their wall or send them a message." Does doing that REALLY make facebook better? strange....

Morena said...

Seriously Sarah? Why don't they just say Facebook feels sorry for John, please send him a message?

Aida said...

its irritating. i hate the new fb, they got "nosier".

kara as for the dead/memorial, i saw something about FB will keep the profiles open indefinitely b/c apparently they used to delete the a/c but the family members were outraged.